Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring Break Haul: Makeup, Hair and Clothes

For the last week, I have been on Spring Break and haven't had to work.  If you recall, I teach fifth grade at an elementary school and my husband teaches high school.  We have both been off of work and it has been so nice.  I really am looking forward to summer right now!  While I was off, I actually had the time and energy to do a bit of shopping.  I picked up just a few makeup items, along with some hair products and a few items of clothing.  We didn't travel anywhere for our vacation so most of these items are just from local stores that many people would have near their hometown.  Let's start with the makeup.
MAKEUP: I was really disappointed with the Sula cream eyeshadow that I had bought last week and I know by the time I get to Ulta to return it, my receipt will probably be expired.  But I still really wanted to try some of these awesome new cream shadows.  My local Kmart is going out of business and was having a big sale on all makeup so I took the opportunity to try out a L'Oreal Infallible Cream Eyeshadow in Bronzed Taupe and a Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Eyeshadow in Tough as Taupe.  So far, I've only tried the Bronzed Taupe but I love it and it was exactly what I was looking for!  Haven't had a chance to try out the Tough as Taupe yet but I was really upset because when I peeled off the protective plastic wrapper, the lid was cracked!  And of course, because Kmart was going out of business, all sales are final and I can't return it.  :(  The good news is that it seems to have broken in just the perfect way to still close completely and keep the product from drying out as fast.
HAIR CARE: Next up, we have hair care items.  Over summer, I love to experiment with heat free ways to style my hair.  As a girl with straight hair, I'm always looking to find ways to style my hair that will give it extra body and volume.
I bought these Wrap Snap & Go heat free hair rollers at Walgreens.  I was hoping to get some pretty waves or curls overnight without having to heat style.  They definitely give curl to your hair, but after 4 or 5 different attempts, the curls just never come out looking the way I want them to.  What I will say is that these would be great to curl your hair if you needed added texture for an updo but for me, they just give a bit too much curl (poodle!) for my personal preference.  I do plan on keeping them for curly updos though, as they are much faster than trying to use a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch curling iron on your whole head.
Along with those rollers, I purchased this Herbal Essences Curl Define & Hold Creme.  I knew I would need some kind of product to help hold the curls and keep them from getting frizzy, as my hair loves to frizz up if I don't flat iron it.  I've only used this once but I wasn't impressed.  I'll give it a few more tries before I really know for sure.

After several failed attempts at no heat curls, I decided to stick with my old faithful curling iron.  Except that my $13.00 Conair Instant Heat Curling Iron sucks.  I believe I bought this about two years ago and I loved it then.  Now the spring has begun to wear out and it doesn't clamp and hold tightly anymore so it's a struggle to curl my hair now.  I decided it was time to upgrade so I went on my merry way to Sally Beauty Supply to get something better.  I researched online and the Helen of Troy Gold Series brand had many good reviews so I picked up my favorite size for big loose curls/waves (1 1/4").  The employee at Sally Beauty who was helping me also recommended it.  I tried it out today and it definitely worked way better than my old Conair.  The spring in the clip holds much more strongly.
While I was at Sally Beauty Supply, I figured I would ask for some advice on hair products too.  If you've read my blog or watched my videos for some time now then you probably know that I have naturally straight but very frizzy hair.  If I don't blow dry and flat iron it (or style it somehow) then I end up with incredibly frizzy hair.  Which makes me sad, because (minus the frizz) I love the way my hair looks naturally.  So I told the employee at Sally Beauty Supply about my frizz-woes and some of the products that I've tried (none of which have worked).  She recommended that I try some of the products from their One 'N Only Argan Oil line.  They had a shine spray but she spritzed it on my hand and it seemed just like the texture of the Tresemme No Frizz Shine Spray and Tresemme No Frizz Serum that I already have (neither works).  So I went for the Styling Cream instead. You can apply it to damp or dry hair but I haven't tried it yet.  She also told me that if I didn't like it, I could return it (but you can't use the whole bottle or anything).  I also picked up their moisture repair conditioner since I know frizzy hair comes from dry hair that collects excess moisture from the air.  I haven't used either one yet.
CLOTHING: A few days ago, I went clothes shopping with one of my friends and while we were at the outlet mall next to my house, we stopped into the Vanity Fair Outlet Store.  I couldn't pass up this adorable dark denim pencil skirt, especially since my old one is now way too big.  I love this skirt because I can wear it to work since it sits below the knee but it's still cute enough to wear for play too.
Now I know that I am not the first person to have this problem so let's just get it out in the open.  I am bigger on bottom than on top and have some decent thighs.  Therefore, when I wear a skirt, I get some serious chub rub.  This is basically when your thighs rub together and irritate the skin.  I've tried Band Aid Blister Block but in the Florida heat and humidity I sweat that stuff right off (gross, right?). The only thing I've found that really works is wearing a thin pair of shorts under my skirts and dresses.  The pair I currently have is made of sweat material and way too hot so I was looking for a lighter weight alternative.  Score!  The Body Central was having a buy one get one 50% off sale for all leggings so I picked up a pair of knee length white shorts to wear under skirts or dresses.  I thought this one with the lace at the bottom was super cute.
I picked up a black pair that are a little shorter as well.  I tend to wear longer length skirts because I am a teacher and people examine how you dress very closely even when you are not at work.  And also, remember my chafing thighs??  They don't look so great in short skirts!  LOL
And last but my favorite, I picked up this cute sheer navy blue floral shirt from Rue21.  (Click here to see Rue21's much more clear photograph.)  I've been looking for something exactly like this for several weeks and I finally found what I was looking for!  I like that it's versatile, so I could wear it to work with a fitted T-shirt underneath or I could wear it on the weekends with a tank.  Either way, I will be stylish and comfortable!  And for me, comfort is key in fashion!


To wrap things up, let me tell you quickly where I purchased each item and the approximate cost, in case you want to hunt these fun things down for yourself.


1. L'Oreal Infallible Cream Eyeshadow in Bronzed Taupe - purchased at Kmart for 50% off. I paid less than $5.
2. Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Eyeshadow in Tough as Taupe - purchased at Kmart for 40% off.  I paid less than $5.
3. Wrap Snap & Go Hair Rollers - purchased at Walgreens for $10.99 (also available at Sally Beauty Supply, but more expensive there)
4. Herbal Essences Curl Define & Hold Creme - purchased at Walgreens for $4.99
5. Helen of Troy Gold Series 1 1/4" Curling Iron - purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply, with Sally Card for $33.99 ($37.99 without card)
6. One 'N Only Argan Oil Styling Cream - purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $8.49 with Sally Card ($9.49 without card)
7. One 'N Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Conditioner (trial size) - purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for $2.29 with Sally Card ($2.59 without card)
8. Wrangler Dark Denim Pencil Skirt - purchased at Vanity Fair Outlet for $14.99
9. White Lace Short Leggings - purchased at The Body Central for $4.90 (buy 1, get 1 50% off)
10. Black Short Leggings - purchased at The Body Central for $4.90 (buy 1, get 1 50% off)
11. Yune Ditzy Riding Shirt in navy blue floral - purchased at Rue21 for $19.99

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to try the l'oreal eyeshadow and the maybelline color tattoo's (I had to order the color tattoo because they're not available in aus :/)
    And you ordered such gorgeous colors!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love Bronzed Taupe! I hope you like the ones you ordered!

      Delete