Thursday, February 23, 2012

NOTD: Hot Pink and Flakie

Yesterday, I was dragging all day at work.  When I got home, the first thing I did was get myself a cup of coffee but even that didn't help, as an hour later I was literally sitting up on the couch falling asleep.  I decided to paint my nails to wake myself up.  Looking at my nails now, I am so happy I was exhausted!
Golden pink flakie goodness
I started with a coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Grip and followed with two coats of a nail polish I received as a gift for Christmas from one of my students.  The polish has no name but it came in a set of five that came out around the holidays from The Color Workshop.  While it doesn't have a name, it does have what seems to be an identifying set of letters (seen on the bottle) which are NBLA.  I have used several of these polishes and I find them easy to use with a good formula and great dry time that is neither too fast nor too slow.  This particular color is a frosty hot pink with blueish undertones.  Two coats gave me perfect opacity and you could probably get away with one thick coat if you were a better fingernail painter than my clumsy self.
I thought this color was okay but nothing too special so I decided to kick it up a bit by adding a coat of Essie's Shine of the Times.  This flakie is described on the Essie website as, "scintillating opalescence".  I would describe it as a flakie topcoat that can look gold, green, orange, and a range of other colors, depending on the lighting, angle, and what color you layer it over.  It turned out to be a polish dream over this bright pink.
In this photo (above), you can see that the flakies look rather subtle and come off as a purple or blue color.
In this picture, you can really see the flakies look rather gold and abundant.  On the index finger, they seem to go from gold to orange.  Girly diva goodness!

6 comments:

  1. why didnt I get that Essie nail polish!!! there was one left at target Im mad now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see it again, I think it's definitely worth it! However, if you have access to a Sally Beauty Supply, they are selling Finger Paints polishes that are flakies and you could probably find one that's very similar for cheaper than Essie. I believe the one called Flashy is the closest to Shine of the Times.

      Delete
  2. I love your nails. So pretty! How is your project pan going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I finished it up about two weeks ago with a total of 13 pans and 7 bottles! Now I'm just trying to cut back the amount I buy.

      Delete