Sunday, February 19, 2012

Insecure Me: Acne Struggles

Of course, the moment that I post an update about how my skin is the best it's been in months, I then end up with a series of pimples worse than before I started my new skin care routine.  *Sigh*  This is exactly what the struggle with acne is about.  I'm being honest here... my skin is bad right now.  To the point where I don't even want to leave the house this weekend and even my concealer isn't strong enough to cover my spots.


Friday morning I woke up to a patch of several large, painful pimples on one area of my chin.  By Friday night, they were swollen and even worse.  In my frustration, I did one of those acne no-nos and I picked and poked and squeezed at them.  Of course, this made them even worse.


However, I'm not losing hope and I'm not going to let this get me down.  I went back to the acne.org website and reread all the steps to see where I had gone wrong and it all started making sense.  First, I hadn't been being nearly as gentle while applying the benzoyl peroxide as I should have been.  Second and most importantly, I had been applying my moisturizer very roughly in that particular area of my chin because I was having some really dry skin there and wanted to really work in the moisturizer there.  Now I realize that the extra rubbing probably irritated my skin, leading to the breakout.


So I'm going to let the acne take its course and I am now following the acne.org Regimen to the letter, exactly as it is recommended, using only the products that are recommended.  More importantly, I am going to treat my pretty face with the kindness and gentleness that it deserves and hope that it shows its appreciation by clearing up and looking lovely again.

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog yesterday and I started reading your posts and I am really enjoying them! I came across this one and I am actually going through something very similar myself. My face started breaking out during the last 8 months. I am feeling the same way right I am unable to leave my house without trying to conceal my acne. I feel that I have tried some many products and nothing seems to help. Just when I feel that I might just actually be getting better I start to break out again. I have problems with my right cheek. I am getting married in October so that just adds more pressure. None of the products that I have used seem to help me. I have decided to finally visit a dermatologist and I am hoping that this will help me. Thank you for posting this it helps to know that there is other people out there that I am not the only one dealing with this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, you are absolutely not alone! I hope you get some answers from your dermatologist. If you still aren't happy with your results, definitely check out acne.org and try The Regimen! It has totally worked for me. My friends are now commenting on my perfect skin (ME!) and asking how I did it. I am so happy with the results and I haven't felt this pretty without makeup in years! I wish you the best of luck in finding help!!

      Delete
  2. I know this is back in time, but I wanted to ask under a relevant topic. I've never had bad acne (aside from the stupid stress kind), and recently I developed a hormonal imbalance that I'm treated mostly with diet. In the meantime, I've been using Equate or Up&Up knock-off of Proactive, which has worked to a certain extent. My question is, have you researched the oil cleansing method? I've seen posts on Pinterest about using a mixture of olive and caster oil to treat acne scarring (the temporary, but long-lasting "shadows" of the blemishes is what I mean, not the pock-marks because I don't have those). It sounds promising, but I worry about putting oil on my face to combat what appears to be an issue caused by oil. I have uuber dry skin, and prolonged use (it's been a couple months already) has severely dried out my skin and made wearing makeup nearly impossible due to the intense flaking. Plus, it is irritating.

    If you don't know anything about the oil method, no worries. I'm just curious if you've heard of any positive or negative reports about this. I haven't researched alternative treatments for acne much yet because I was foolishly hoping it would go away much faster than it has.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of the oil method but I was afraid of it too. However, I started using "The Regimen" from acne.org and it really helped my skin, although I do occasionally get the flaking you mentioned as well. I started using jojoba oil in my routine to add moisture back and that has not broken me out at all, so maybe you could try the oil method with jojoba oil, as it is non-comedogenic. Just be careful if you wear contacts, as my eye doctor recommend that I keep any oils far away from my eyes because they can mess up your contacts.

      Delete