Sunday, February 26, 2012

5 Minute Makeup Tutorial (Pic Heavy!)

Sundays are almost always lazy get stuff done at home days for Brian and me.  For example, on today's agenda we have: 3 loads of laundry, hemming and mending clothes, and painting fingernails and toenails.  I love these sort of days because I can relax in my pajamas all day while still feeling productive.  However, I don't usually want to spend a lot of time or energy on my hair and makeup.  My hairdo usually consists of a bun of second day hair and for makeup I want something that takes less than five minutes but leaves me feeling a little more pretty and a little less tired than no makeup at all.  I didn't feel like making a full on video tutorial because that at least doubles the time it takes me to apply the makeup, so instead I videotaped it and took still shots of each step along the way to explain how to.  Here are the products I used today:
Products used
All of the items will be listed in the steps of the tutorial in bold print.  Here's a before picture (not touched up) so you can see what we're dealing with for today.
BEFORE makeup
I'm looking a little too much like a tired fourteen year old for my likeness, so let's start the process of beautification!


Steps:
1. Conceal those fading red acne spots on my chin.  I'm using Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer in Light.  It's not my favorite concealer for blemishes but it was the first one I grabbed today.  (Photo of application is below instructions.)
Conceal spots
2. Now that we've got those spots covered, let's focus on fixing up those dark undereye circles.  Start by priming the skin with Benefit Stay Don't Stray Primer for concealer and eyeshadow.  I usually use my e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer, but I have a sample of the Benefit that I'm trying to use up.  Unless you have very mature skin, I don't recommend the Benefit primer.  Dislike.
Prime undereye
3. Next we are going to cover those dark circles using Pixi Brightening Peach Correction Concentrate.  Apply a small amount using your ring finger to gently pat it on the skin.  This little jar is my best magic trick.  Bye-bye dark circles!
Correct undereye circles
4. Go back to the Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer and add just a touch of concealer over the corrector to match your skin tone.  Be careful not to use too much!
Conceal undereye area
5. Now that your skin is looking flawless, set it all with Physician's Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation in Translucent Light.  I use a soft fluffy brush to set my undereye area, then the sponge applicator that comes with the powder to pat the product onto the rest of my face.
Set undereye area
Apply powder to face
6. Fill in any sparse areas of your brows using a brow pencil or powder.  I used Essence Eyebrow Designer in Light Brown.  It's not the best match for me but I'm trying to make it work for now.
Fill in brows
7. Liven up your face a little by adding some blush to the cheekbones.  I used L.A.Colors Blush in Toast.
Apply blush
8. Set your makeup with e.l.f. Makeup Mist & Set.  This takes away the look of wearing powder makeup and helps your makeup last longer.  While that dries, line your tightline (the area under your lashline on top) with Almay Bright Eyes Liner/Highlighter Duo Pencil in Dark Chocolate/Shell.  I don't recommend this product because it creases and isn't the best liner around but I have it so I'm trying to use it.  I'm using the dark brown liner side for this step.  Gently use the pencil tip to push up your lashes and line underneath.
Tightline
9. Using the other side of the Almay Bright Eyes Liner/Highlighter Duo Pencil in Dark Chocolate/Shell, lay down the cream color on the lower portion of your eyelid.  Also use it to highlight the inner corner of the eyes by drawing a shape like this >< on the inner corners.  Use your finger to blend by patting the cream shadow.
Cream shadow
10. Using a shimmery light shade, apply color to the lid from lashline fading up to the browbone.  Color should be more concentrated on the lid.  I used Sally Girl Single Eyeshadow in Champagne.  Using the same shade, highlight the inner corner generously.
Set with powder shadow
11. Going back to the Almay Bright Eyes Liner/Highlighter Duo Pencil in Dark Chocolate/Shell, use the shell side to line the waterline for a more wide awake look.  Gently push down on your eye to expose the waterline.
Brighten the waterline
12. I used my e.l.f. $1.00 Eyelash Curler to curl my lashes.  Then I applied a coat of Wet N Wild Clinical Mascara to the top and bottom lashes for definition.
Curl lashes

Apply mascara
13. And finally, to hydrate my lips, I put on some Carmex lip balm, which also adds some shine to your lips.  All done!
Apply lip balm
All together, this takes me about five minutes to do and you could even cut out several steps and make it quicker if you wanted to.  Here is the finished look!
AFTER makeup

2 comments: