Saturday, January 7, 2012

Manicure: Surprise Flakie

One of the very sweet students in my class purchased me a set of five Color Workshop nail polishes for Christmas.  I thought this was an incredibly thoughtful gift, especially when the student told me he got me nail polish because he notices I always have my nails painted.  Someone is paying attention in class!  What a lovely gift for your teacher!  For the first day back to school after Christmas break, I wanted to use one of these nail polishes to show the student that I truly appreciated the gift.


I had recently hacked my nails off to the shortest of possible nubbins because I had a crack in my left thumb that went into the actual body of the nail.  I had tried for weeks to repair it to no avail so I decided to cut my losses and start over growing them.  New year, new nails.  Anyway, I thought with no real nail line to see, this would be a perfect opportunity to try out the very light sheer pink glitter that came in The Color Workshop set that my student gave to me.  (Color Workshop is owned by Markwins, which also owns Wet N Wild, Black Radiance, and other brands.)  What I found when I applied it was that this was not a glitter polish, but that it was actually a flakie!  Surprise!!  I was so excited because flakies are my current polish obsession and I only own one other one (Essie's Shine of the Times).
I started out with a layer of Sally Hansen Insta-Grip Base Coat that I've had for ages but never used before.  Then I used two coats of the flakie and finished off with a coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat.  I found out recently that this top coat wears very well for me and this time was no exception.  I'm on day four of this manicure and there are still no signs of chipping or even tip wear.  I think I found my new favorite base/top coat.  This polish doesn't actually have a name but I noticed on the bottles of polish that they each have a different set of letters on the front that seem to identify them.  This bottle's letters are NCRA.
Overall, I am loving this polish and I can't wait to layer it over other polishes and see the effect!  However, if visible nail line bothers you, you wouldn't want to wear this polish by itself because VNL does show.  When my nails are this short, that doesn't really bother me.  The light pink color in the bottle does transfer to the nails, so it's not really a clear formula.  However, the color is very sheer and rather jelly like so it's easy to work with.  The flakie particles also transfer very evenly to the nail and don't bunch up towards the tip.  Quick dry time is another plus.  I'm pretty much in love with this one, if you can't tell!  If you really want to take a good look at this polish, enlarge the close up of my thumb.

2 comments: