Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review/Comparison: Suave Dry Shampoo

Last month, I blogged about the sample size of Suave Dry Shampoo that I picked up free along with a Suave shampoo at my local Dollar General.  (Click HERE to see that post.)  After having lots of time to try this product and compare it to the dry shampoo I currently use  (Salon Graphix Invisible Dry Shampoo), I have a final opinion on the Suave Dry Shampoo.  Let me just begin by saying that I know these products don't really compare equally in price.  I am comparing them for the simple reason that this was an experiment for me to see if I could switch from the more expensive Salon Graphix to a much cheaper alternative, Suave.  I was really just hoping to save some money.  (As a sidenote, I've already tried the Tresemme Dry Shampoo and hated it.)


QUICK INFO ON MY HAIR:
I wash my hair at night because I have to wake up at 5:00 AM.  I only wash it every other day.  So second day hair for me means I did not wash it the night before.  My hair is naturally straight and fairly oily, yet dry (oily at roots, dry everywhere else) and the parts that sit on my forehead get even more dirty from the oils from my face.  Are you grossed out yet?  :P


PRICE POINT:
Suave: According to CVS.com, the 5.0 oz can of Suave Dry Shampoo (much larger than the size pictured above) is $3.49.
Salon Graphix:  According to CVS.com, the 4.0 oz can of Salon Graphix Invisible Dry Shampoo (size pictured above) is $7.99
     What it means: For less product, the Salon Graphix is more than twice the price.  Ouch, my wallet hurts at the thought.


APPLICATION:
Suave: The Suave is not an "invisible" dry shampoo.  What this means is that when you spray it into your hair, it will apply as a white powder.  For girls with dark hair, like me, this means that you will have to be sure to blend the powder completely out so that you aren't left with a white residue in your hair.  Problem number one.  This does blend out easily simply by rubbing with your palms, as the instructions on the package indicate.  My problem was that  I would miss spots or couldn't see certain spots in my hair under certain lighting.  Not a big deal, but slightly annoying.
Salon Graphix: Truly does apply invisibly so if you don't blend it completely in, no one will ever know the difference!


SCENT:
Suave: I absolutely love the scent of this product.  It has a citrus scent, which is very strong, even after application.  You will still smell this long after you applied the product and blended it in.  This may be a pro for some users and a con for others.  Personally, I like the scent, but felt like it was overpowering my perfume at times.  However, if what you really want is for your second day hair to smell clean, this will certainly have that effect.
Salon Graphix: This product has a clean smell which is obvious when you first apply it but fades with time.  The scent is not very strong at any point in time.


OIL ABSORPTION:
Suave: I felt like this was the area that the Suave was the weakest in.  It worked well when first applied but as the day went on, it did not hold up.  By the end of the day, my hair looked more oily than before I applied it.  However, it did work nicely when used on days when I washed my hair the night before and my hair was just beginning to feel slightly oily.  No good on second day hair though.
Salon Graphix: This is the area where I feel the Salon Graphix is the strongest.  When I look at my hair, it does not look oily or dirty.  However, when I touch it, it definitely feels dirty.  So as long as no one touches my hair, they are none the wiser.  ;)


CONCLUSION:
Sadly, the only one of these categories that really matters to me is that the product absorbs oil and the Suave fell desperately short in that area.  That makes me sad because I was really hoping to save a bundle of money on a cheaper product.  However, I think if your hair wasn't that oily and you just wanted to freshen up the scent of it, the Suave would be great for you.  Personally, I'll be sticking to my way overpriced Salon Graphix Invisible Dry Shampoo for now.  Too bad... I had high hopes of money saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment