Monday, October 31, 2011

Manicure Monday: Haunted Houses!



Last week when Sinful Colors was on sale for $0.99, I made it a point to stop at my local Walgreens and pick up a few new shades.  Among the three I purchased was Amethyst, a pretty mid-toned purple creme.  When I got home I did a Google search to see if I could find some swatches and I ended up at Pixie Polish.  I absolutely fell in love with the look she created here (Please click the link; Her nail art puts mine to shame!!) I knew that was the look I wanted for Halloween!  So I bookmarked the page and showed my hubby, Brian, to see if he could help me recreate the look on the nail with the haunted house.  He thought it would be an easy look to copycat so we gathered the materials and got started.  Here are the polishes we used.



From left to right: Nutra Nail Strengthener; Sinful Colors in Amethyst; Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Wet Cement, Wet N Wild Wild Shine in Black Creme, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Lightening; Seche Vite Fast Try Top Coat.  If you're wondering, for the past several weeks, I've been using the Nutra Nail Strengthener as my base coat.  It was only around $3.00 at Dollar General and it seems to make my nails smoother than the expensive Orly Bonder I had been using.  I haven't noticed much difference in wear though.


2 coats of Amethyst, no topcoat
After my base coat, I painted two coats of Sinful Colors Amethyst onto each nail.  This polish was opaque with just two coats and much shinier in real life than it looks in the photos.  The formula on this was okay, not great.  It took a fairly long time to dry and I had some real issues with bubbling because the brush is rather small and I had to go over the same spots multiple times.  The bubbling was really only noticeable in the photos but the dry time was a pain because I kept smudging the polish.  But since it was still wet 10 minutes later, I fixed the smudges so they weren't noticeable.


Next, Brian used the skinny end of a cosmetic wedge to sponge some "fog" onto the tips of my nails with Sally Hansen's Wet Cement.




Then, using Bundle Monster plate BM224, I stamped the haunted house onto each finger nail using Wet N Wild Black Creme.  This is a great, inexpensive black for stamping!  After that dried, Brian used Wet N Wild Lightening and an Orly detail nail brush to fill in the lights in the haunted houses.  He used a Kiss Nail Art Pen in black to draw in some details like a dead tree, bats, clouds, and a ghost in the doorway.  Brian thought the lights turned out too large and would use a toothpick in the future.  Personally, I love the way this turned out!  So festive and spooky, yet cute!  To protect the design, I sealed it with a coat of Seche Vite.





4 comments:

  1. That's way more creative than I think I could get but so cute. Also I think it's cute your hubby got so involved. Very sweet. Not every man out there (even the loving, dedicated ones) would do so much. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooooooooooooow this is realllly creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great!! You and your husband did a fantastic job! I'm glad you liked the design enough to recreate and thank you so much for showing me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dawn: Pixie Polish is the one who deserves credit for the creativity! I'm just a copycat! He is very sweet to help me. It's an outlet for his artistic abilities.

    @MONA.ELGENDY: Thanks! Again, credit to Pixie Polish, not me!

    @Pixie Polish: Thanks! I love your designs and blog! :)

    ReplyDelete