Friday, October 21, 2011

Manicure: Breast Cancer Awareness Mani

Let me apologize in advance for the slightly blurry pictures below.  My husband let his friend borrow my good camera and I was left with my sucky old camera, which hates to take pictures of nail polish.  Anyway, I had blogged about this nail polish a few days ago and just had the chance to try it.  I had purchased it in a set with a Seche Vite top coat and an angel key chain from Sally Beauty Supply.  It was a special deal to promote and benefit breast cancer research.  The set was only $8.99 so to support the cause and get a great deal on my favorite top coat, I decided to pick up the set.

At my work this week, we had our Breast Cancer Awareness activities so I thought this would be the perfect time to break this shade in.  First, I started out by painting over my base coat with China Glaze's Go Go Pink.  What a nightmare!  The brush and consistency of the polish were great but the formula reminded me of Essie in a bad way.  It took forever to dry and was a streaky uneven mess.  This was FOUR coats of this polish and on my right (dominant) hand, there were still some streaks.  How aggravating!  It also chipped quickly and badly.  Within an hour of applying the polish, I noticed tip wear, which might be from the coat of Seche Vite I applied to try to get this mess to dry (or maybe some shrinkage?). In the shower, the still tacky polish (25 minutes after applying SV) completely had a landslide-like move on my middle finger on my right hand.  I was so frustrated!  I had the same sort of problems when I used another China Glaze polish a few weeks ago so I'm thinking the formula just doesn't get along well with my fingernails.  Boo!  They have so many unique shades.  What a pity I won't be buying any more.


After that nail catastrophe, I was determined to salvage this polish into a workable Breast Cancer Awareness manicure so I set to work with my stamp.  I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Presto Pink to stamp the Bundle Monster image plate BM212 to stamp on some hearts that I thought resembled the breast cancer ribbon.  Not a perfect match but it was pretty close.


Overall, I love the way this turned out.  After another coat of SV after stamping the hearts, the giant landslide on my finger seemed to improve a bit and besides the short wear time, I think this looked really cute for Breast Cancer Awareness Week.  I had this mani on while perusing the nail polish at Walmart today and a woman came up to me and asked me for some tips on nail polish brands there so it must have looked good to her too!  :)  I love it when that kind of thing happens!  Has that ever happened to anyone else?



No comments:

Post a Comment