Monday, August 1, 2011

NOTD: Water Marbling

I am finally caught up with my Nail of the Day posts!  For awhile there I was several days behind because I was so busy!  And I am thrilled to share this look with you!  This technique is a really easy nail art design called water marbling.  Basically, you paint your nails white then drop nail polish into water and make a design in the polish.  Then you dip your nails into the water and the design sticks to your nails!  For more info, watch the video from Luxurious Nails that inspired me!  I used a blue, black and silver and I think it turned out amazing!  And even my husband, who couldn't care less about nail polish, thought they were awesome!  Here's how I did it.

I started out by painting my nails with a base coat.  I used Orly's Bonder, which is something new that I'm trying out.

Bonder by Orly
Next, I painted my nails two coats of Blanc from Essie.  This acts as a background for the nail art and helps the design to stand out more.

Essie in Blanc
Then I poured some room temperature bottled water into a disposable cup (because the nail polish will ruin the cup).  I then dropped in one drop of blue polish, black polish, and silver polish.  Then I dropped in another drop of each, in that order.  Next, I took a toothpick and made a design in the polish.  This is what it looks like.
Marbled design in water
The shades I used were Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Blue Me Away, Wet N Wild Wild Shine in Black Creme, and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Celeb City.

My polish picks
After I cleaned up my nails, this is what I ended up with.  Doesn't it look amazing?  I think I'm going to do this with my school colors for the first week with my students.  They'll be mesmerized!

Left hand
Right hand

2 comments:

  1. very cool. do you just dunk you fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you dunk and then clean off all the leftover polish from the top of the water then pull out your finger! The only nail art I'm talented enough to do!

    ReplyDelete